Wednesday, January 22, 2014

How to know a good friend when you see one...

I've been thinking about writing this one for a while, and as it usually happens I'm waiting for my hair to dry (shocker) so I thought this would be a good time.

How to know a good friend(s) when you see one: it's been a journey with friends this past year, but I've noticed 4 traits that make a really amazing friend, so I thought I'd share.

1. Listening ears: this one is super important to me, not because I like to talk (wink, wink), but because I need a friend who will listen with their ears before opening their mouth. It's important that you find someone that will take the time to listen to your problem, no matter how silly they might be, and give you sound, loving, and helpful advice. Now, I know that this one is probably hard; especially in respect to high schoolers! So, find a friend/mentor who you know will give you sound advice! They don't have to be your age to be a friend. One of my most favorite people is almost 10 years older than me! As they say "age is but a number..."

2. Loving: I am a very "touchy feely" and emotional person. So it was important for me to find a friends who will love and support me when I'm feeling down. Words of affirmation and kindness are good for the soul, so if you can find someone who makes you feel like a million bucks because of the way they talk to you...keep them around!

3. A heart for God: now this may not apply to everyone who's reading this, so feel free to skip to the next one, but this one is SUPER important to me! I need a friend to can encourage me in my walk with God, who I can confide in when I feel spiritually shaken, and who I know loves God as much as I do. Don't get me wrong! It's not bad to be friends with non-Christians, but remember that they aren't going to be able to give you encouragement that comes from the Holy Spirit! Find that one person, or group of people, that can fill you with the Holy Spirit and you're friendship will be rooted in a foundation that's solid.

4. Just plain ole' fun: I'd say I'm a pretty fun person, and I surround myself with people who don't look at me weird because I say or do something silly. Find those people that laugh with you, dance with you, sing with you, and make you feel so amazing! You are special and unique! Find people ho see and appreciate that quality in you!

Now for you...be THIS friend! Have listening ears, be loving, be fun and accepting! If you're a Christ follower, make your actions speak louder than your words when it comes to your friendships! You can be that friend who makes a huge impact in a person's life. If you have been blessed with friends who love you, and treat you as you should be treated...return the favor! Love others and be a friend who is trustworthy and kind and all around wonderful!

But I know we're not perfect! It's impossible to be the "perfect" friend, but you don't have to be! You just have to be someone who cares. I promise...it'll make a world of difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment