Sunday, December 14, 2014

Arise, Shine!

I was driving through my neighborhood this evening, and my headlights were hitting the 
inch-or-so of snow on the ground; everything was quiet and peaceful and dark. In that moment the darkness was comforting. It was spectacular. The peace of the snow with the black of the sky sort of took my breath away.


I know that, more times than not, the darkness is not "comforting" or "peaceful" or any of the above adjectives; however, it's in the darkness that Christ's light often shines the brightest. 

2 The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; 
those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness on them light has shone. 
3 You have multiplied the nation; you have increased its joy...
(Isaiah 9:2-3)



I've been starting each day with a short Advent devotion from the "She Reads Truth." I've always had a difficult time being excited about devotion only because I didn't know how to spend time in one. But, for the month of December I've made it my goal to dig deep and spend quality time in the Lord's presence.



Day 13 of this Advent devotion talked about how Christ is our light. He came through the thickest darkness and set us free, and I felt such a tug on my heart to sit here and write. I know that everyone's darkness is immensely different--some us may have been in our darkness for as long as we can remember, for some of us our darkness is a person or an addiction or you name it! We all have some form of darkness in our lives and in our hearts, and it seems impossible that we could ever be pulled from that scary place and into a place of light and joy.



The amazing thing about Christ is that he came as light in human form. He came to reach down into the deepest, darkest place in our lives and in our hearts and renew and reshape. He grabs us by the hand and breathes life and light! In fact John 8:12 tells us that:

12 Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, 
"I am the light of the world. 
Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, 
but will have the light of life."

Jesus tells us that whoever follows him will NOT WALK IN DARKNESS. Now you might be saying..."yeah right, I've followed God my entire life and I'm still stuck. Stuck in this hole, and I feel like no one can pull me out." And to you who doubt I say (well I don't say Jesus says):
 33 I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. 
In the world you may have tribulation. 
But take heart; I have overcome the world.
(John 16:33) 

Following Christ does not mean that you will be happy every single day of your life. It definitely doesn't mean that everything you face will run a smooth course; however, it DOES mean that you are blessed. You walk in the light of Jesus. His glory shines down on you and covers you with grace and love. You may find yourself in a dark situation, but Christ's glory still brings good things toward you. 



Jesus' light is one that is not hindered by Earthly problems. His light is one that is unending. To you who struggle in the dark: Arise! this darkness that envelopes and overwhelms seems like a curse, but think of it this way--this darkness only makes Christ's light brighter. This darkness only magnifies His glory. 




No comments:

Post a Comment