Sunday, November 3, 2013

Be Still

Sometimes, we have to do things that are really hard in order to open ourselves up to bigger and better things; we have to close one door, so that God can open another. I had to do that recently, and it wasn't fun, but when is it ever fun?

Now I won't go into detail, but the gist is this: I had to close a door, a door that I've been scared to close for awhile, and I wonder, why did I wait so long take action? The answer is... I was (and still am) terrified. I'm scared of the unknown; I'm scared because I don't know what God is going to do, or how long it is going to take. I'm scared of being lonely, I'm scared that things won't get better.

When I look toward the future I see that closing that door was the easy part, the hard part is waiting. I'm not patient. I want instant gratification. I want everything to be amazing and wonderful and perfect. But even though that's what I want, that's probably not how it's going to go down. God does not work the way I want which, if I'm completely and absolutely honest, aggravates me! I want things to happen when I'm ready for them to happen, when I feel like it's time.

My sense of time is completely different from God's sense of time. He does things when He thinks it's best for me. When He knows I'm ready. And that may be tomorrow, that may be next week, or that may be next year. I don't know, and that's what I'm scared of...but if I really want him to do something in my life, I guess I'll just have to wait.

"The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still."
{Exodus 14:14}

That's exactly what I need to learn to do: BE STILL. Be still and wait, be still and be content, be still and be trusting. The Lord is fighting in my favor; He's working it all out for my good, and I just need to be still. And boy, that is definitely a challenge, and I'm going to have a work really hard at waiting, and there will be tears, but God is going to make things so good, and if that's what I want then I'm happy to wait.

1 comment:

  1. Closing doors is so hard! But surrendering by choice is far better than having the door slammed in your face and the possibility of needing to learn the lesson again. Sounds like whatever it was, you learned, you obeyed, you chose the right thing. Good job, girlie! You're learning lessons it took some of us YEARS to figure out!

    Love the Exodus verse, too!

    ReplyDelete